There has been a great deal of growth and advancement in Canopy Piloting since then. New equipment and coaching programs have given enthusiastic canopy pilots a path to learn safely and advance their skills. We are happy to announce that beginning December 12, 2020, there will be a new designated high-performance landing area at Skydive Perris.
The high-performance landing area is on the west side of the North Field and east of the runway.
High-performance turns, anything more than 90 degrees, are only allowed in the high-performance landing area.
Anyone doing high-performance turns must:
- Have a minimum of a C license and 500 jumps.
- Have received canopy coaching and approval from their coach that they were ready for high-performance flying.
- Received approval from management.
- Communicate with other jumpers on your load so that they know of your intention to do a high-performance turn into the designated area.
- Fly your Base leg always from the East, never from the runway.
- Be aware of potential traffic and canopies landing in and around the area.
- The first person down sets the landing direction.
As a high-performance canopy pilot, it is your responsibility to know when to swoop and, more importantly, when NOT TO SWOOP. Though we have designated a specific area for swooping, we know it is always possible for other jumpers to make errors and fly into that area. If there is any potential for canopy traffic, high-performance turns ARE NOT ALLOWED. If you have any doubts, you should do a standard pattern.
Interested in canopy coaching?
Our Skydiving School offers comprehensive canopy classes monthly,
suitable for all levels! Book online here or contact Josh Colby for more info or a private class.